Several Lifesaving Society awards are recognized for equivalency by the International Life Saving Federation (ILS). Canadian holders of the NLS awards are eligible to apply for the equivalent international certificate. These certificates are recognized by all ILS member countries.
The process for applying is as follows:
- Complete and sign the Request Form for International Certificate, indicating the award for which you want to apply.
- Attach a copy of your current certification.
- Attach two original passport type photos (which go on the card).
- Pay the fee of $48.00 Canadian per award, which covers the ILS certification fees, postage and international banking charges. (You may pay by certified cheque or money order, made out to the Lifesaving Society.)
- Submit your application to the National Office.
Once verified, the application will be sealed and sent to ILS Headquarters in Belgium for processing. The estimated time for processing an application is 2 months from the time it is received at the National Office.
For anyone who applies for work in Canada with an ILS international certificate, the Lifesaving Society may recognize that the person has demonstrated successful completion of the approved knowledge and skills for that particular level. The Society still retains the right to test for other skills and knowledge, as required by provincial/territorial regulations or to require additional training. Please read the complete International Certificates Guidelines at https://www.ilsf.org/certification for more information. Contact the National Office if you have any further questions.